I felt like a failure…This was me when I was 22. I was in London doing the obligatory Aussie working holiday. I had just quit my job (which I hated!!) and I decided to return back to Australia, after of course doing a Contiki tour around Europe (this is me in Holland!!). I had put on so much weight (15kg), I was so self conscious and I just hated the way that I looked.
This was not the real me!When I came back home to Australia, I tried every diet known to man. I would be militant and control everything I ate, and then binge like crazy. This pattern continued through my 20’s and I was continuously self sabotaging. Each time I had a binge or emotionally ate – I would think that it didn’t matter, and it wouldn’t make a difference anyway. I thought that I was only one diet away from being skinny, and in my mind being skinny = love/relationship. It was the biggest mistake that I made.
Looking back I can’t really blame myself, because I didn’t know any better. It’s what we had been told (and still are told) from society & the weight loss industry around dieting being the only answer to weight loss. We know now that 95% of people who diet then go on to regain their weight plus more within a 12 month period. I knew dieting wasn’t working for me (as I was a dieting failure statistic). I felt like a failure. I felt like there was something wrong with me and my level of self control. At the age of 30 I had a wobble. And this prompted me to start my journey of self discovery and I realised that my answers were not in the diet books or trying to control my eating.
When I started using evidence based strategies, natural weight loss occurred for me. I am no longer on automatic pilot grabbing the chocolate when things go off track or I experience uncomfortable feelings. This was my experience, everyone is different, please take advice from your health practitioner about what’s right for your personal circumstances. I use effective strategies to cope with stress and life’s ups and downs without using food. My personal journey, as well as my insights and experience as a Psychologist are the reasons why I work in a private practice with women in the area of emotional eating &self sabotage and why I created my Neuro Bariatric Program.
I change women’s relationship with food, and I change their lives.
- I am a Psychologist who works with women where I work with women in the area of emotional eating, self sabotage & weight for Weight Loss Surgery Patients (there’s not many of us in the world!)
- I have spent 5 years working in a Weight Loss Surgery Clinic as a key team member, working with women considering WLS or have had WLS so they can get back in control and stay there
- I am a Podcaster!! I have a Podcast called Reverse The Relapse which is getting a lot of traction and great feedback
- I have taught over 10,000 women from all around the world, effective psychological strategies to reduce their emotional eating, without having to restrict or deprive themselves.
- I have over a 3 month waiting list for 1 on 1 clients to see me about their emotional eating & weight.
Just to finish off the story – when I started to feel better about myself and felt good in my own skin a friend of mine who I had known for 10 years suddenly ‘popped’ up. We’ve been together ever since, married and have 2 beautiful boys, Harvey and Nate ! We certainly attract what we feel we deserve in life. I can’t wait to support you over your journey to food & total freedom.